Prolotherapy is the injection of ligaments and tendons to restore and strengthen them naturally. These tissues are weakened from injury or wear and tear. Weakened tendons and ligaments result in joint pain and instability.
The Prolotherapy injections deliberately cause inflammation, which causes the body to lay down collagen. The collagen fibers develop over several weeks into mature tendons or ligaments. This results in a permanently strengthened and more stable joint. The injected substances include local anesthetics combined with concentrated dextrose.
We commonly employ Prolotherapy for the following conditions:
- Chronic or recurring back pain
- Chronic or recurring neck pain
- Shoulder pain, including partially torn rotator cuff muscles
- Elbow pain, including Golfer’s and Tennis elbow, and tendonitis
- Wrist pain, including carpal tunnel and tenosynovitis
- Thumb and finger pain
- Hip pain
- Knee pain, including ACL and MCL injuries
- Ankle pain and instability
- Foot pain
- Certain types of headaches
- TMJ pain